A while ago I got some ideas from The Dangerous Ladies to do some redesigns for a couple of characters. While working on Adventures of Superman I felt the need to do a couple of Super Fam redesigns just for fun. Nothing really crazy or extensive but I thought I would share since I haven’t posted anything in a while.
I have a Superboy one too which i’ll post another day.
I’ve been thinking in the new year to do more drawing as well as Livestreams while working. Hopefully time will permit and I don’t lose interest :S
Marcus gets Supergirl.
The lining layers are sewn, now to start the beast that is the chiffon over lay/train layer. I may not have the crystals done for Thursday night, but come hell or high water I am going to have my elven wedding dress.
We only used a base pattern for the waist cincher/bodice; the rest was done from scratch, as I just traced off of standard blocks. And even then, we altered the base pattern quite a bit.
You can see posts on various pieces here:
Tips: take your time. Her coat was probably one of the trickier things I’ve ever made, and yet somehow I managed to pull off a fully-lined jacket with clean edges on the arms. (We ended up doing the keyhole and the armhole pieces as facings. It was crazy.) Give yourself plenty of time to experiment and test things out, and you can see the tinkering I did in the Kyoko Sakura tag. You will likely want a friend to help you out with fitting!
As for base patterns: finding any “chinese collared shirt/cheongsam” pattern would be an excellent base for Kyoko, given that many of them have an identical collar and are sleeveless. You’d just have to add the skirted portion and alter the front so it’s a solid piece. You’ll also want to be sure that you have a zipper going down the back, instead of fumbling with front closures!
This ebay seller right here. That is for the listing of the same wig, it is a very pricy wig, but I have killed it enough over the past two days that any other wig would have died. Those are the same photos as the listing from when I bought it (months ago) and when it came it had much, much, much, tighter ringlet curls. Hence me resetting my curls 5 times in the past two days to make them look right again.
Drowning in pink fabric working on my mock up for Galadriel. It is really starting to feel like a princess or a wedding dress.
Oh and I should add, I did not make this pattern, it is the Simplicity 9891 pattern. Fabricland has them for $5 and it would have cost me $15 for the entire tube of tracing paper I would need to draft this. I have completely modified the sleeves though, I’ll do a write up on how to mod the sleeve pattern piece from the long flowly sleeves to Galadriel’s sleeves later :)
It took 5 different resets but I now have Galadriel’s waves! Now I just need to let it dry, fix the one donked section, and then lightly steam the roots to get rid of all the weirdness happening there. #galadriel
Thank you anon!
You have no idea how badly I want to do one of Peggy’s outfits (cough the red dress cough) from the TFA movie. Or even better, her suit in agent Carter.
Woo managed to get the mother of pearl out so I don’t have to worry about taping it off for painting!
Now for come extra info! The leaf/vine work I did on it is all worbla! The weird lines in the middle are the bars on the back to hold the giant piece of mother of pearl I have for it as well as an anchor for the pinback. My over all brooch is about 5-6 inches wide, with the bother of pearl it’s self being 3 inches.
I got the mother of pearl from this etsy seller.
My vector for the brooch is here. Keep in mind that I did this one quickly so the intertwining of the vines is not correct, I just flipped the image to make sure it lined up. If you want to use it, please do, but please refer to this photo for the correct placement of where the vines intertwine with themselves.
Now that I am at the point of not seeing straight, I believe this is a good stopping point for the evening. #galadriel