It’s on the list already for 2014! We are holding it off until then in hopes that we get concept art for the upcoming new animated show; if we like those, we’ll do them. If not, we’ll be doing the Super sailors.
Guess who is who ;)
May 14 progress report: Kyoko Sakukra
1-2. Cut out fresh pieces of foam (there was a lot of trial and error) and after derping around with the band saw trying to figure out how to cut the bevels properly we stuck ‘em to the sintra base.
3. A LOT OF TRIAL AND ERROR
4. Prototype for the uh, smaller… diamond.. thingie. The centre will have one of those big weapon gems christine has been working on!
5. TRAIL, ERROR, PATTERNS AND PROTOTYPES.
6. Cut up a few strips of craft foam and used them to fill in the gaps between the couplings. My spear is really coming together!
7. That sure is some flattering lighting.
Tomorrow I glue, prime and touch up the whole thing. I actually sculpted the inner diamond thingie into it’s proper shape, but forgot to take pictures. Woops.
What I did today in between nodding off and trying to keep food down.
I keep reblogging these things and putting the tags in the text.
May 14 progress report: Madoka Kaname
1-4: Bevelled edge progress. Today I found a much faster way of carving down the shapes I wanted into the bow: a spokeshave. It’s directly behind where the bow is clamped in the first photo. You can shave away edges very quickly and cleanly by hand, though it can get tricky; you always need to be going with the grain of the wood, and the wood grain can change at random partway through, causing gouges or snags. You can fix these by shaving in the opposite direction.
5-9: Where I left off for the day. I’ve basically gotten the shape and smoothness that I want, with touch-ups possible here and there. My dad cut and angled the “branch” spokes for me and drilled the necessary holes to keep them fixed to the head of the bow. I attached them quickly for these photos, but I’ll be filling in any exposed holes once I’m happy with it.
10: Test shot with EL wire donated by Jenn. Thinking of just using this for my “arrow,” hiding the battery pack in my hand.
Tomorrow I’m going to narrow down the branch spokes a bit since they still feel a bit blocky, drill holes for the leaves and flower, figure out where I’m putting my thorns, cut out where the gems will be placed, and basically get it as close to primed and painted as I can.
Emmy, Jenn and Mike are headed to Disney for a week! Christine is working and will be largely unavailable this week. Please excuse any silences or delays in answering asks, as we are all away from the Internet, but feel free to leave us a bigger backlog to dig through when we get back ;)
See you all in a week, just in time for Anime North!
Kyoko’s spear head is finally coming together…
Don’t mess with magical girls!
My shield is almost complete! It just needs a few more coats of gesso and paint job!
I haven’t used it in a few years, but when I last did, yes. I have not been able to find it anywhere in Toronto and Golden acrylics have gotten me by in the meantime.